Assistant Prof. / PhD
My research interests lie in the area of theory and applications of cryptography and more concretely in symmetric cryptography, authenticated encryption, forkciphers, hash functions, key derivation, provable security, privacy-friendly security protocols, and cryptography for blockchains. I am interested in theory and development of provably secure cryptographic designs for secure data communications, storage and private computation.
Previously, I was an Assistant Professor in the Cyber Security Group at DTU, Denmark and a Lecturer in the Cyber Security Research Group at University of Klagenfurt, Austria. Prior to that, I worked as a Research Expert in the COSIC Research Group, KU Leuven, Belgium. My PhD and my Postdoctoral research was also at COSIC and was funded by a PhD and Postdoctoral grants from the Flemish Research Foundation (FWO). I completed my PhD, entitled Domain Extenders for Cryptographic Hash Functions, in 2010 under the supervision of prof. Bart Preneel. I hold a Master’s degree in Computer Science from the University of Saarland, Germany.
More details about my research can be found on my personal webpage https://elenandreeva.github.io.
I am always looking for motivated students! Contact me if you are interested in working with me and have a look at our open positions and thesis opportunities!
- Assistant Professor
- On Leave
- Nonce-Misuse Security of the SAEF Authenticated Encryption Mode / E. Andreeva, A. Bhati, D. Vizár / in: "27th International Conference, Halifax, NS, Canada (Virtual Event), October 21-23, 2020", Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 12804; issued by: Springer; Springer LNCS, Cham, 2021, ISBN: 978-3-030-81651-3, 512 - 534
- Interpolation Cryptanalysis of Unbalanced Feistel Networks with Low Degree Round Functions / E. Andreeva, A. Roy, J. Sauer / in: "27th International Conference, Halifax, NS, Canada (Virtual Event), October 21-23, 2020", LNCS, volume 12804; issued by: Springer; Springer LNCS, Cham, 2021, ISBN: 978-3-030-81651-3, 273 - 300
- Optimized Software Implementations for the Lightweight Encryption Scheme ForkAE / E. Andreeva, A. Deprez, J. Bermudo Mera, A. Karmakar, A. Purnal / in: "CARDIS: International Conference on Smart Card Research and Advanced Applications", LNCS, volume 12609; issued by: Springer; Springer, Cham, 2021, ISBN: 978-3-030-68486-0, 68 - 83
- Compactness of Hashing Modes and Efficiency Beyond Merkle Tree / E. Andreeva, R. Bhattacharyya, A. Roy / in: "Advances in Cryptology - EUROCRYPT 2021", LNCS, volume 12697; issued by: Springer; Springer, Cham, 2021, ISBN: 978-3-030-77885-9, 92 - 123
- Forkcipher: A New Primitive for Authenticated Encryption of Very Short Messages / E. Andreeva, J. Lallemand, A. Purnal, R. Reyhanitabar, A. Roy, D. Vizár / in: "Advances in Cryptology - ASIACRYPT 2019", issued by: Springer; Springer LNCS, Cham, 2019, ISBN: 978-3-030-34620-1, 153 - 182
- Open problems in hash function security / E. Andreeva, B. Mennink, B. Preneel / Designs Codes and Cryptography, 77 (2015), 611 - 631